Our new program seems to be working quite well except that I am struggling to get Ds11 nearly 12 to work at a reasonable pace because he is such a dawdler and dreamer. He gets distracted so easily and drifts off into space it seems. It drives me insane!
Well we tried something new today. He desperately wants a new Nintendo DSi (the latest model which comes out on April 2nd and combines an ipod type device plus digital camera with the game console) http://www.nintendodsi.com/ This would be a VERY expensive birthday present and we have told him if he gets it he will not get any games with it or anything else and that he will have to pay for these himself and may have to contribute towards the cost of the console itself if it end up being more than we can afford.
I told him today that since he was taking so long over his math I was going to start giving him extra revision drill sheets to help him speed up. I said i would be timing him and that if he can beat the timer each day he will earn $1 to put towards his Nintendo DSi fund. I have also said that if he can complete ALL his school work by lunch time I will add another $1 to the fund.
There are also consequences in place as he is a very dedicated sportsman and so he knows that if he doesn't meet his responsibilities in time which includes his school work, his chores and his paper run then he doesn't get to participate in his sport that day. He usually manages to get everything done about 5 minutes before we have to leave for sport at around 4:30pm.
However today he took 25 minutes to finish all his math including the extra drill sheet and ended up beating the timer by 15 minutes and that was with his typically extended toilet break LOL.
I also got him to start earlier than the other kids and sent the rest of them downstairs to play. He seemed to concentrate much better like this without anyone there to distract him.
He has now been working for about an hour and is onto his 3rd subject.
Long may it last!
Blessings
Nina
-

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.