Saturday, February 28, 2009

What it's all about..... REALLY!

You know I seem to post frequently here about our homeschooling journeys and adventures as if they are the be all and end all of our life. In reality there is something so much more important than what we are learning or doing for school but I tend to forget to metnion it all that often.

Most important is our relationship with the Lord.

Are we growing in Him?

Are we striving to live according to His will?

Are we demonstrating His love to all that we come in contact with?

Are we being good witnesses to our children?

On this note I have to tell you about a wonderful occurrence last night in our family....

The most exciting thing happened last night much more exciting than anything academic we have every achieved in the 6 years I have been homeschooling. I had sent the kids off to bed to read for a15 minutes before I cwent to them to do prayers and kiss them goodnight and turn off their lights. Dh was going to be late home from work so it was just the kids and me at home. Dd7 and Ds9 are currently sharing a room as dd7 has developed an aversion to sleeping in her own room and prefers the comfort of sharing a room with her older brother so I went into them first.

Anyway I walked into the room to find dd7 sitting on her bed with a big kind of excited smile on her face and this strange light in her eyes that I hadn't seen there before. She looked up at me with those beautiful big brown shining eyes and said.....

"Mummy can you help me ask Jesus into my heart?" Oh what music to my ears that question was.

So between the two of us Ds9 and I told dd7 that all she needed to do was tell God she loved Him and ask Jesus to be her Savior and to forgive her for her sins. Dd7 repeated my words and then gave me an enormous hug. Ds9 then told her that even though he had asked Jesus into his heart at age 8 he still liked to ask him back in again every night even though he knows it isn't necessary.

When kids say things like that it really just warms the heart, doesn't it?


Anyway seeing as it was now after 9pm I told them it was time to sleep now and kissed them both good night. They both settled down for the night wearing happy smiles.

What a blessing it is to be with our children 24/7, to share these momentous occasions and to guide them to the Lord without the negative influence of the world trying to take them away from us.

It is so easy to forget that this is what it is all about and that anything academic they learn along the way is really just a bonus.

I love homeschooling!

4 comments:

  1. So the notice on the homeschool review so popped over to check it out. What wonderful news and it is very exciting. And what is it with dd7 my has suddenly started to not want to be in her room. Her big brothers don't want to share so we find her on our floor and the living room. The last two nights she has stayed in her room but in one of those play tents not in her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! I saw the post on Homeschool review and being the blog obsessed person I am, I came over to read yours. How excited I am when another child has come home! What a great testimony you have for her to see her need for the Savior. It's a joy and blessing to know that your child(ren) are apart of the family of God. Good job mom in doing just what God requires us to do as parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes! That is absolutely wonderful! I love moments like this that truly make life's struggles worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies I too felt very emotional and awed by this as my dd7 initiated it herself with no prompting from me. The Holy Spirit was truly working on her heart that night.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.