After 6 years of homeschooling the one thing I know for sure is that it is better to relax and take things slowly in the early years and build up gradually. I believe routines and a certain amount of structure are important but you need to make them something you gradually build up and weave in around daily like. I have had to constantly remind myself to avoid over scheduling even though this is a really HARD lesson to learn for a lot of us mum especially those of us who tend to lean towards the control freak side of the coin.
Here is my perspective on what to teach when....
- I don't personally begin doing any sit down formal academic learning until around 6.5 at the earliest with enthusiastic girls and closer to 8 with boys.
- For preschoolers and kindergartners I usually only offer optional colouring pages, arts and crafts and we spend a lot of our time reading lots of nice picture books. However I prefer to allow them to do 99.9999999% of their learning through play and exploration.
- I only focus on reading and phonics with lots of art and crafts until around age 7.5. I would then introduce 1 - 3 lines of copywork for handwriting and some basic math. At this age I use hardly any curriculum except for math and HWOT for handwriting. For Math at this age I like ACE or Singapore and a lot of people I know recommend Explode the Code for this age group for phonics although I personally am having great success with ACE English and Word-building for my dd7 at the moment.
- Around age 8 or 9 when I introduce science and spelling/vocab. I personally like ACE Wordbuilding for spelling and Gods Design for science.
- Between ages 9 and 10 I introduce independent writing and grammar and assigned literature. I like Voyages in English and I use a variety of highly recommended Literature mostly from the Sonlight reading list.
SCHEDULING:
- I personally like to just do 10 - 15 minutes per subject 3 - 4 times a week until around age 7.5 or 8.
So a typical academic week with a child aged up to 7.5 or 8 would look like this...
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Reading - 1 book aloud to me and then I read a book aloud.(10-20min)
- Break for move around or play with manipulative resources (10 - 15min)
Handwriting/copywork - 1 letter or phonics blend per day (10 - 15min)
- Break for move around or play with manipulative resources (10 - 15min)
Maths with me (10 - 15min)
- Art and Crafts
Tuesday and Thursday = Social and or sporting activities
- At around 7.5 - 8 years I add another day to our schedule and around 9 years I add another light day and extend our other 4 days to incorporate the extra subjects.
Soooooo........
- 6.5 - 7.5 years - Max 30 -45 minutes sit down academic learning 3 times a week.
- 7.5 - 8.5 years - Max 1 - 1.5 hours sit down academic learning 4 times a week.
- 8.5 - 10 years - Max 2 - 3 hours sit down academic learning 4 times a week.
- 10 - 12 years - Max 3 - 3.5 hours sit down academic learning 4 times a week.
- 12+ years - Max 4 hours sit down academic learning 4 - 5 times a week.
By the time they reach age 11 or 12 they will usually be studying...
- English - (Composition and Grammar)
- Spelling
- Literature
- Maths
- Science
- History & Geography
- Typing
- Penmanship (copying Scripture)
- These will be spread over 5 days usually with 1 - 2 days being much lighter than the rest.
At the moment due to all our afternoon sports etc the older boys tend to do 4 - 5 hours on Monday, 3 hours on Tuesday, 2hrs on Wednesday, 1hr on Thursday and 3 -4hrs on Friday. Dd7 of course does much less than this. Most of this we try to slot into the babies nap times.

Just wanted to tell you that I love your blogs. I've been reading a few days now. Love the way you look at home schooling.
ReplyDeleteThanks glad you are enjoying my ramblings. Every day is trial and error here and the Lord is always teaching me something through my kids.
ReplyDelete