Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Toddler Taming

Eeeeeek A walking baby......

"I think I can, I think I can......"

Baby R started walking this week despite only just reaching 11 months yesterday. Problem is he is in to absolutely everything add to that the fact that everything that will fit automatically goes straight into his mouth and I feel like I am constantly saying "No, Don't touch, No don't put that in your mouth, No, give it to mama." "No, No, No, No, NO!"

"Yeah! I did it!!!!!"


Anyway I so hate hearing myself constantly telling him no and it's not like it is just me as being so much younger than his 3 older siblings he also has them telling him no and then dh as well so this poor kid has 5 bigger people constantly ruining his fun and telling him no. He definitely doesn't appreciate this and lets us know this in no uncertain terms and then it's not like he actually listens anyway."

When my other kids were toddlers it took one or two firm "no's" and maybe the odd little hand swat and then I didn't have to worry anymore because they knew when I said no that I meant it they also learned that certain things within the house were off limits to them and so didn't venture there again. This ds however gives back as good as he gets. Telling me off in very firm baby babble every time I say "No" and distraction doesn't seem to work either for more than a minute because as soon as I move him away he heads directly back to whatever it was I tried to distract him away from. When this doesn't work out for him he is not adverse to arching his back and having a minor tantrum for a few seconds and then trying again.

"Oh, but Mum.....It's not fair everyone else is doing it...."

Having him after a nearly 7 year gap was a very big yet wonderful surprise. However we had moved beyond the baby friendly house and now have some items that really do need to be off limits to him... eg: stereo, DVD player, TV, Playstation, digital camera etc... LOL (Yes he's a boy and loves buttons and flashing lights!")
"I'm too cute for you to say ' no' don't you think?"
So without putting up barriers and blockades throughout the house how on earth do I train this child not to touch certain things? Spanking is not something I want to start at this young age plus these days it is actually a criminal offense here to spank so I feel this time round I should look for alternate options. Using a Playpen just doesn't work with him for more than a few minutes as by then he is screaming for release. (He is a bit of a law unto himself this one.)
"Yes, definitely too cute, waaaayyyyy tooooooo cute!"

Eeeek, I have no idea how I'm going to do this with this particular wonderful blessing! LOL

"Mmmmmmwa, I love you though Mama!"

1 comment:

  1. TOO Cute! Sounds like my 2 year old. He still does the back arch thing. I thought after a few times of hitting the slate and hardwood floors he would stop. NOPE! lol

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.